Trail Detours and Closures
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2014
It's spring, and that means 3 things: warmer weather, heavy rains, and the start of construction season! Although, really, does construction season ever really end? It seems like it doesn't, but it's an inconvenience with a great payoff in the end! With so much going on this year, we wanted to share an update of what we know so far for the 2014 season.
Heavy rains have brought rapidly rising waters, and the closure of several low-lying sections of the Rivergreenway. The City maintains a list of closures from flooding on the Parks and Recreation website. Please refer to that page for the most up to date information.
A number of detours are in effect this year for construction projects, either near or on these trail segments. They are detailed below.
- Maumee Pathway near Anthony Blvd - Effective now, ending mid May - Due to construction on the Anthony Blvd bridge, the Maumee Pathway is closed. The detour directs people around the construction area via Anthony Blvd toward Cody Drive, and then head back north on Pemberton Drive to access the trail.
- St. Joe Pathway near Coliseum Blvd - Effective now, ending in November - INDOT is widening Coliseum Blvd, and doing a large amount of work on the bridge. At times, the trail will be closed due to heavy machinary working on the bridge above the trail. Trail users will be directed around the detour by utilizing sidewalks on Anthony Blvd and the sidewalks on IPFW's campus. The intersection of Anthony and Coliseum will be rebuilt starting in mid May and running through mid August, adding to the complications. Follow any posted signs for the most current detour route.
Some sections of the trail will be closed entirely for portions of this year due to some additional construction projects.
- St. Marys Pathway between Tillman Park and Fairfield Road Trailhead - Closed from July to mid September - The trail will be closed entirely from just west of the Tillman Park trailhead to the Fairfield Road trailhead for a levy construction project.
- Engle Road Trail - Closed from mid May till Mid August - The trail will be closed between Statesman Way and Jefferson Blvd for the construction of a sewer project. Users can get around the construction by using the Towpath Trail through Lutheran Hospital's campus.
- Illinois Road Trail between Glencarin and Carnegie - Effective now, ending mid September - INDOT is repairing the sinkhole on the south side of Illinois Road. The trail will be closed, and there will be no signed detour. You may seek your own alternate route through the business park (Glencarin Blvd/Carnegie Blvd) but be aware that sidewalks are not continuous on these roads.
We will keep this post updated as we can, and will be sharing updates via social media when we have new information. Happy trails!
Posted inblog comments powered by Disqus