Get Involved: Use the Trails
Using the trails is one of the best ways you can show your support for us, and the best part is that it’s fun and easy! Here are a few ideas of ways to use the trails to get you started:
With Your Family
Whether you’re biking, walking, or pushing a stroller, using the trails with your family is a great way to have some healthy, safe fun. Check our map to find a trailhead near you, load the kids, strollers, and bikes in the car, and make your way to the trails. Here are some fun paths you could take:
- Foster Park Loop – The Foster Park loop is approximately 2 miles long, leading you along the St. Mary’s river and Hartman Road. The beautiful scenery in the spring and summer when all the flowers are in bloom make for a gorgeous walk or ride. Once you’re finished with your walk, the kids can make use of Foster Park’s great playground!
- The Towpath Trail – The Towpath Trail offers a unique biking experience that follows the former Wabash and Erie Canal. Suitable for families with children comfortable on bikes, this approximately 4.25 mile ride starts at Rockhill Park and ends at the new Towpath Trailhead on Engle Road. Consider bringing a picnic lunch with you, using the picnic tables at the Engle Road trailhead. You can also read signs about the history of the Towpath, discover what animals you may find in nearby Eagle Marsh, and admire the beautiful sculpture placed in the middle of the pavilion. This is a great way for your family to get in touch with nature!
- Ride to a Yearly Festival – Fort Wayne has loads of yearly festivals, many of which are held downtown or in one of our beautiful parks. Why not ride your bikes to the festival, making use of our bike valet to keep it safe while your family enjoys the festivities? Check out the map to see how you can get to each of the yearly festivals.
Instead of spending money on gas to drive somewhere, why not use the trails as a unique way to build and maintain friendships? Walking, jogging, or biking along the trails is a fun way to get out, stay active, and catch up on all the latest news. Here are just a couple of ways you and your friends could make use of the trails nearest you.
- Around Your Neighborhood – While it may not seem like much, taking a relaxing stroll around your neighborhood is a good way to chat and get some exercise. If the trails aren’t directly accessible from your house, why not use one of the loops? Solomom Farm, Foster Park, Kreager Park, and Indian Trails Park all have excellent, scenic trail loops.
- Ride Downtown – Make a group outing great by riding your bikes downtown to watch a ballgame, have dinner, or catch a film at the Cinema Center. There’s so many options that you could easily make this a weekly event!
Does your company have a weight-loss or general exercise program? That’s the perfect opportunity for you and your co-workers to use the trails! Bike, walk, or run on the trails, calculate your mileage, and watch the burned calories add up. Use half of your hour long lunch break to take a quick stroll if you’re short on time.